Thursday, February 17, 2011

School and Work Flu

This time last year, I got the flu. It was the sickest I have been in a long time. I have my fair share of colds and allergies. But the flu had me down for the count for a full week...plus some extra recovery days..

Ever since then, I have been deathly afraid of getting the flu. I was so nervous about it that I got a flu shot, which I never wanted. With grad school taking up all my time and work not allowing me any sick days, I knew getting sick would not be an option.

So I have turned into a vitamin freak. I take pre-natal vitamins and keep Emergen-C packets on hand. I can't afford to be out sick for a week. The thought of all the homework that would consume me is unbearable. What little sanity I have left would be totally gone. Character crushed. Hope deminished. Ok...Done being a drama queen.

But for real. Yesterday was a tough day. Work was crazy, and since we don't have a boss...even crazier. We decided to have weekly staff meetings to keep everyone informed. Best idea we could have ever had. It is nice knowing what everyone is doing. And it helps me do my job.

I spent most of my time at my desk writing stories for an upcoming assignment. I had to go on campus to a branding lecture...which turned out not to be a lecture, but a big waste of my time. My organization works differently than the rest of the university. Not to say we get special treatment, but we don't have to abide by the same rules and standards. We make our own ripples in the wave pool.

Then I went to Starbucks to get some caffine, and I had the opportunity to admire a super cute guy who works there that I'm pretty sure is married. But I can't tell for sure. He wears rings on both ring fingers, and I always look at the right hand and think it's the left. (Must be remnants from my blonde days).

I got my afternoon coffee fix, and then I decided to read some stuff before my class. So I sat there in what looked to be a comfy booth. Truth be told...not so comfy. I sat there for over an hour hunched over a book and numerous handouts, while the back of the booth remained ramrod straight. Not good for this girl's back.

I left there to go sit in a classroom with squeaky, rolly chairs to have the backaches from Starbucks' uber-straight booth turn into a numbness.

As I stood up, all my bones proceeded to creak and pop. My back woke up screaming for some kind of relief, which I had no idea how to provide. It felt like the flu all over again. I left achy and cranky and stressed to the max.

Moral: School and work can induce flu-like symptoms in people who are stressed and over-worked. Diagnosis equals success, and I didn't have to consult with Dr. House.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Why didn't you like flu shots? Don't they work for you? It might have save you from a week-long sickness. I get what you say about school and work inducing flu-like symptoms. Don't overwork yourself. Take a break! For someone who can't afford to be sick for a week, you need to moderate your stress to avoid falling seriously ill.
    Louisa @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete