Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wherefore art thou, Valentine?

Well it has been a while. It snowed here in Arkansas, which makes roads not safe for motorists...due to motorists not knowing how to drive in the great white abyss. So needlesstosay, no posts since I wasn't at work.

I was blessed with two amazing snow days, which gave me a six day weekend. I spent most of it doing extreme amounts of homework and watching Season 6 of House. Let's just say I'm totally hooked. I think Jesus blessed me with two days out of school and a six day weekend so I could have a make-up birthday. It was an amazing and much needed break.

The only downfall to this awesome weekend was it ended with Valentine's Day. I am a true hater of all things Valentine. It makes me feel sick. I guess it's me just being jealous of my happy friends with significant others. There's a reality check.

But really. I don't see all the hype in Valentine's Day. People go out and buy silly cards professing their love to another poor soul. Guys pay huge amounts of money for flowers. Girls stress over what to get their guy for the big day...since guys don't ususally get flowers or chocolates. Girls really get the short end of the Valentine stick. Corporate America needs to come up with a go-to guy Valentine gift because I can't figure it out.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a total hopeless romantic. I can't wait to have a real Valentine. I look forward to the days of flowers and mushy cards. I just hope my Valentine will be more creative. It would be better to make the gifts/cards more personal than what Hallmark can come up with that year.

Valentine's Day has really lost its true meaning. I think it is in there somewhere, but it is definitely buried under 98475245 pounds of conversation hearts and ugly stuffed animals. So let's get down to it.

St. Valentine was a priest who was arrested for performing marriage ceremonies for Christian couples. Apparently, during the 1400s it was a crime to help Christians do anything. But Valentine didn't care, and he kept marrying people.

 So Valentine was sentenced to death by way of clubs and stones. But after they beat him and threw stones, Valentine was still hanging in there. So the head hancho had him beheaded on February 14. And Valentine's Day was born...some many years later.

Sad story. Valentine's Day should be about doing something good for other people. That doesn't necessarily mean a significant other. While it is nice, it is not a requirement.

I am still trying to decide who I want my Valentine to be. I will find someone I can help out. Someone who deserves some pure undiluted love and affection.

It's like the Beatles said "All you need is love. Love is all you need."

It's like the Bible says "Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy. It does not boast. It is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."


Spread the love all over, not just to the one, or ones, you already love.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment