Wednesday, January 4, 2012

And We're Off to a Good Start

I am off to a good start this morning in the breakfast department. I haven't eaten yet because I'm still in the process of treating my coffee addiction, but I see breakfast happening in the very near future. The likelihood of that pear being good is questionable. So the Luna bar was absolutely necessary. P.S. I went to yoga yesterday. More on that later...as in tomorrow.

The 64 oz. of water will happen today, unlike yesterday. I left my fancy water bottle at home. I know it's not an excuse, but I did. P.S. I got the Camelbak self-filtering water bottle for Christmas, and I love love love it.

I know I just posted my resolutions yesterday, but I've been thinking about them for a while now. So I'm going to show you what I did Monday while I was at home kicking it.

I made bread from scratch. And it is delicious. You should totally make some. If you want the recipe, leave a comment on this post, or message me on Facebook, or tweet me. Whatever.

Now let me just say that my mom and I have been trying, unsuccessfully I might add, to make my great-great grandma's cinnamon rolls. And to do that you have to make a yeast dough. All of our yeast dough didn't rise. So we didn't have cinnamon rolls.

But we figured out what's wrong and fixed it when we made bread on the same day at our own houses. So I just want to say I made this bread without her help, and she made her bread without my help. But we did exchange lots of encouraging words throughout the day. Not the point, but anyway. Moving on.

Yeast dies when you add it to water that is too hot. Just make extra sure your water is LUKE and you will have the most perfect bread.

I do have a recipe to share with you today. It's super easy and yummy.
Veggie Stir Fry: You can basically use whatever vegetables you want, which is what I do everytime.
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 ribs of celery
1 packet of mushrooms
1 bag of steamable broccoli
1 bunch of asparagus
1 C. of rice
1 T. chia seeds
Olive oil
Teriyaki sauce
Red pepper flakes
Black pepper
Salt (optional since teriyaki is so salty)

Start by chopping up your veggies into bite-sized pieces.

Cook the rice in a separate pot until tender. Follow the instructions on the bag. I did one cup of rice to two cups of water with a little salt and a smig of olive oil. Cook for about 15 minutes.

While your rice cooks, heat a little bit of olive oil on medium high heat and throw in the onion and garlic. Add a couple shakes of red pepper flakes. Cook for about 1-2 minutes to soften the onion. Then throw in everything, but the broccoli. You might have to add a bit more oil to the pan so nothing sticks.

Microwave the broccoli for 5 minutes. I used the Birdseye brand of steamable broccoli. Drain off any excess water and throw that in with the other veggies.

By this time your rice should be very close to done. So stir in 1/4-ish cup of teriyaki sauce with the veggies. Toss in the chia seeds. You may have to add more teriyaki because the chia seeds will soak up a lot of the liquid. So just use your best judgment.

Throw in the rice. Check for seasonings. Add more pepper if you like.

Super easy. Very tasty. And it comes together in a flash. You should definitely try it.

What resolutions have you done already?

Any good recipes I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment