Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Running with a Cough

I seriously almost died yesterday while I was out running. And it wasn't from the psychical activity of running. It's because I have a cough.

I ran the first mile and coughed a little bit when I took my minute walk break. The second mile felt even better since it was 70 degrees and sunny. But the minute walk break had even more coughing, and this time it was serious. So I took an extra 30 seconds to get my breathing under control. Third mile was good. I felt good. Nothing too demanding of my body. But when I stopped and started to stretch, I absolutely could not breathe. Every breath I took in made me want to cough, but I couldn't because I had nothing to cough. So it was a lot like choking. Very scary stuff. But I did it.

Here are my stats:
Distance: 3.0 miles
Time: 36:29 (pretty good considering the coughing fits.)
Best Pace: 10:31
Average Pace: 12:10
Calories: 334

Once recovered from my near-death coughing fit, I took my sweaty, smelly self to the grocery store. (I'm sorry for those people who had to endure shopping in my general area.)

I decided to try a new recipe that I adapted from a few different recipes. I give you Butternut squash, kale and barley "risotto."
So so good. The squash was tender, the kale was wilted and the barley was slightly chewy. Just a good combination of textures and flavors. I'm not going to post an actual recipe because it took a lot longer than I wanted it to. So I'm going to experiment with the recipe a few times before I go give you the recipe to try at home.

In other news, grad school is kicking my booty pretty hardcore right about now. This having something huge due every single week is getting pretty old. I'm not a fan. I'm ready to not be judged on my knowledge of the subject.

In other more exciting news, I'm headed to New Orleans Friday morning. My mom and a few of her friends are running a half-marathon down there. I'm pretty excited. This will be my first time to experience the atmosphere of a big, legit race.

And I'm also thrilled to have authentic Cajun food, adult beverages and a latte and beignets from Cafe du Monde. So I should have some pretty exciting stories to tell from the weekend in Nola.

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment