Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Farewell to the Inland

Listen.

Do you hear that?

I can just make it out over the squealing of car tires and horn honks that permeate the air outside my office.

Do you hear it yet?

It's just barely audible. But I can hear it.

Waves crashing on the white hot sand in Destin. Seagulls cooing over a small child's Cheeto's. Sand crabs snapping their little pinchers at unknowing beach combers. Sand shifting over sand with the push of the gulf breeze. Yellow flags tinking against flag poles.
Did you hear it now?

I can't even tell you how excited I am. I know I said that yesterday, but it's true. I can't believe I have to go sit through my first class tonight before I am free to have nothing but beach thoughts.

How is it that graduate school can almost ruin the best summer outing? If I didn't have to go to class, I would have been able to leave today. Right now I would be somewhere in Louisiana or Mississppi. Sigh.

But it will all come soon enough. And then it will be nothing but this.




I fear this day will be the slowest of all the days. School will take too long to let me out in the the freedom of a sweet vacay.

I can feel it now. The hot sand burning the soles of my bare feet. The sun beaming down from its place in the sky. Ok. I'll stop. Promise.

I know I haven't been doing too hot with the blogging this week. Don't fret. There will be so much glorious beach pictures and posts mixed with the new stresses of grad school to come. The last few weeks have just been a little dead.

I promise to:
  • Take too many pictures
  • Spend all the daylight hours on the beach
  • Eat copious amounts of seafood
  • Drink my fair share of beachy beveys
  • Be the Maid of Honor in my best friend's dream wedding
  • Wake up with the sun
  • Run twice while I'm there
  • Not do anything school or work related
  • Not get stressed out driving through Mobile, AL
  • Make the most of an amazing opportunity
But I can't promise I won't cry when I'm forced to come home.

So if you want a direct link to me while I'm beaching, follow me on Twitter @ashtenbrook.

On this Thursday, I leave you with an image of Taylor Lautner.
(Via)
Surely his shirtless, rain soaked body will suffice my being gone and not posting for a few days. (I think I'd be satisfied if you provided me with this kind of eye candy.)

I hope you guys have an awesome rest of the week and weekend. See you on the beach. HOLLA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment