Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An Impromptu 5K

There is no going back. We have ran 3.1 miles. THREE POINT ONE MILES. That is a 5K.
It was glorious. 39:40. 315 calories. Best pace 9:24. Average pace 12:48. HOLLA!!!

Here's what we did. Logan, Lindsay, the roommate and I started out with a very fast paced walk for 2-3 minutes (which went undocumented by the watch so we could get an accurate sense of the time it would take with the 5K).

We would run 10 minutes at a 12:00 pace. And then walk for 1 minute. Until we reached the goal of 3.1 miles.

The only difficulty we ran into was running out of light. Since the days are getting shorter but not cooler earlier, it is hard for us to commit to a specific time. We want to go, but we don't want to burst into flames or melt on the sidewalk.

This impromptu 5K means we can never go back. There will be no more running 25 minutes. No more 2 milers. This is crunch time. We are six weeks out until race day, and I don't want us facing something we aren't ready for, but could have been ready for.

So we will run 3.1 miles each time. And pray that it cools down enough to bear it before dark.

I'm so excited to have ran the distance I set out for so long ago. It is a major accomplishment that must be repeated. I won't get to run again until Friday since I have class tomorrow night. Dang school for making me miss a group running session.

I guess I will just have to make friends with school work and knock it out so I can still have some fun. So tonight I will go home to this.
I still have some chapters to read and a few things to prepare before tomorrow night's class.

Hope you are having a glorious Wednesday!!

If you haven't read Cely's blog Running Off the Reese's, you definitely need to read it today. She writes a weekly WTF Wednesday post. And when you are from rural Arkansas, like me, you will (might) enjoy the WTF topic she talked about this morning. Cely is one of the funniest bloggers I've ever read. Sometimes she makes me laugh out loud. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment