Thursday, October 13, 2011

Recommitment to the Run

It's exactly 9 days until Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
I got my race packet in the mail a few days ago, and something sort of changed. The reality of the race is starting to set in a bit more. I've been working toward this goal since May. It's crazy that it's finally here. Nine days away. While it's not my first 5K, it is the first time I will wear a race bib and actually run in the Race for the Cure.

Since the cracked tooth debacle, I haven't been able to run. The dentist told me not to run, and I was actually kinda scared to since my luck is not the greatest. So yesterday was the first time I've ran in two weeks.


Time: 41 minutes
Distance: 3.17 miles
Best time: 9:41
Average time: 12:56
Calories: 312

I'm pretty proud of the time considering I haven't ran in two weeks. But I'm not about to tell you the run was cake because it was pretty tough. I could definitely tell I had taken a prolonged break, but I don't think it will hinder my plans for my next running goal.

New Goal: 10K Training
I have exactly six weeks until the 10K Duck Race in Stuttgart. It's the Saturday following Thanksgiving so I'm sure I'll be needing a run to cut through the pumpkin pie, turkey and the thousands of pounds of sides I will consume to begin the Holiday Season.

So as of yesterday, I've officially began training for the 10K. My plan looks something like this:

The first three weeks (Oct. 13-Nov. 5)
3 mile runs during the weekdays (Mondays, Wednesday and/or Fridays) at least two of those per week.
4 mile run on the weekends (Saturdays or Sundays)

The last three weeks (Nov. 6- Nov. 26)
3 mile runs during the week (same as before)
5 mile runs on the weekends

And I'll save the 6.2 miles for the actual race on Nov. 26.

It's gonna be the longest, straightest, flatest 6.2 miles of my life. Long straights with little curves in the road. I'm gonna be so bored. Who wants to run with me? We can sing songs. Or make up stories. Or talk about how we are gonna eat corndogs and funnel cakes from the carnival when we are finished running.

No comments:

Post a Comment