Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Running with a Famous Person

I spent yesterday afternoon catching up, making a costume and running with my old college friend Ben Davis. We've known each other for three years now and have a bit of a history.

Ben is now my famous friend.When we met in 2008, Ben was 360 pounds. He was sad and lonely, but then he made a decision to change his situation. Three years later, he is a whole person smaller, a marathon runner, two-time Ironman and inspiration to millions of people who follow his life journey every day on his blog Ben Does Life.

We met at Starbucks to have some coffee and catch up. And as the conversation went along, he said we should run.

Now let's get this straight. Ben runs. I jog. It's very different. And I was instantly nervous when he said we should run together because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up. See...Ben runs fast. I jog slow.
But we ran. And it was amazing (aside from the fact that my side had a sharp shooting pain under my rib cage the whole time). Four miles at sunset. Perfect weather. It was glorious. And I didn't really keep up, but I tried. And that's all that matters.

And I helped him make an old school ghost costume.
He's so menacing. (We did cut out some eyes...and we basically stole that sheet from Wal-Mart. But let's not get into that.)

Ben: I had fun with you yesterday. When you come back to 'Merica, there will be more coffee, running and friend time. So get ready. See ya at Christmas when you pick up the masterpiece of Sherman.

On a semi-related note: my mom sent me an e-mail this morning.
Yep. It's happening. 13.1 miles. I will get that sticker. And that medal. And that personal accomplishment. And bragging rights. And whatever else comes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment