Thursday, March 8, 2012

The End of New Orleans

Since yesterday's post was so heinously long, I'm going to try to keep my rambling in check this morning.

So let's talk about Mother's Restaurant.
Let's talk about the grilled Cajun shrimp plate with red beans and rice, turnip greens and a big slice of pecan pie. Hold that thought....I'm having a moment remembering how wonderful that meal was. 

Mother's is a down-home cooking place, where the food is hot and the help is sassy. They are known for the baked ham, which made an appearance in my turnip greens. Oye. I swoon over turnip greens. 

New Orleans folks know how to cook. They know how to use spices. They know just the right amount of everything to use to make the food taste just right. Go. Eat. There. Now. 

After lunch, we made our way down to the French Market District.
This is home of Cafe Du Monde and the French Market farmers' market, as well as other little shops and eateries. 

I could easily see myself living in the French Market District. It has a cool vibe. Big city, but down-to-earth. I love how everything you could ever need is within walking distance. If you ever go to New Orleans, definitely try to find a hotel in the French Market District, or at least venture out that way. 

But now that the trip is over, it's back to reality for this ole girl. I'm still a little sickly, even after going to the doctor last Thursday. But I'm settling into my usual routine yet again. 

While at work on Tuesday, I talked one of my co-workers into running a 5K with me in May. So yesterday we took off on a little jog. And she did a great job. 
Distance: 3.00 miles
Time: 41:17
Best Pace: 9:37
Average Pace: 13:46
Calories: 292

It was a combination of walking and running. And I think she kind of felt like a bad ass once the run was over. 

In other news, I'm hitting 10K training pretty hard this weekend. I have to get in a 4 mile run. HAVE TO. I'm hoping everything will just work out like it did with the Duck Race. I'd love to have another run like that, but I don't know how it will be since I've been sick for a month. We shall see. 

What's new with you?

Got big plans this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment