Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Need for Speed

Morning Everyone! I hope you had a fantastic weekend.

Well I started my week off right. And I can't wait to tell you all about it. But before I do that I need to tell you about my long run last Thursday.

I didn't want to do it, but I did it. The first two and a half miles were awful because I just didn't want to be out there. Once the endorphins kicked in, I was golden, and then I got a side stitch under my right rib cage the last half mile. It. Was. So. Painful. Someone please tell me what's in there causing me so much pain.

Here my stats from last week's long run:
Time: 59:55
Distance: 5.0 miles
Best Pace: 9:53
Average Pace: 11:59
Calories: 584

Yesterday, I set out to do my first outdoor speed work. I've done speed work on a treadmill, but never outside. Lord, help...it was tough.
I laced up my new shoes, and took off for the park. Got to the park...and left my running watch at home. Had to go back. I can't run without that thing.

Here's what I did: I did a nice, easy jog for the first half mile. Then, for every fourth of a mile (that would be one lap around a track), I increased my pace 1-1.5 minutes faster than my normal pace. Then, I would slow down to my normal pace for a fourth of a mile. And I alternated this fast and slow jog for 2 miles. Then I jogged another half mile to cool down. So if my math is correct, that is 3 miles.

Now, let me say this. Speed work outside is not a joke. It's the hardest thing I've ever made myself do. I would think I had sped up, but in reality I was keeping the same pace. It's amazing how your mind can play such tricks.
I set out to do 3 miles, but in the end the heat and speed wore me out.

Here are my stats:
Time: 27:41
Distance: 2.5 miles
Best Pace: 9:12
Average Pace: 11:05
Calories: 294

I'm pretty sure my body burned more calories after I was finished because I was starving. Starving.
I went over to Logan's house, and we made a pretty ridiculous dinner. Grilled pork chops, grilled veggie kabobs with summer squash, zucchini, baby portobello mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, orange bell peppers, grilled pineapple, garlic bread and pecan pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment