Wednesday, March 7, 2012

New Orleans: Race Expo and Race Day

The race expo was one of the coolest thing I've even been to because I've never seen so much running gear in one place. Brooks sponsored the race, and they had a lot of cool gear there for everyone to purchase. I scored some pretty awesome finds at the expo. See...
Official New Orleans Rock n Roll Marathon swag.

The back of the shirt

Brooks Adrenaline 12 running shoes

For my car

I love this tech shirt.
I could have went crazy in that place buying awesome running clothes. I'm most excited about the shoes. I know you remember I got shoes for my birthday, but they are not going to work out. Every time I've ran in them I've had some kind of sharp pain my ankles and knees. Not what should happen when you get new shoes.

So I went back to what I know, Brooks Adrenaline. You remember when I got my first pair, right?

Now on to the race. My mom and Lisa got their stuff ready the night before. Time chips tagged to their shoes.

We got up at 4:30 A.M. so they could get ready and eat breakfast. I didn't go down to the starting line with them, but my mom took her phone to take some pictures for me.
Kerri, Mom, Gayla and Lisa at the starting line

The line leading up to the starting line
I made it to the finish line at 8:30 A.M., and there were people already finishing the half. People ran a half marathon in under an hour and a half.

It's so inspiring to see so many people running. So many people run for different reasons. I felt like I could conquer the world...or at least run a half marathon.

When my mom and Lisa ran by me at mile 13, I got all teary-eyed watching my mom finish a half marathon. She is such a role model, and I love her so much. I was so proud of her finishing her second half marathon and cutting five minutes off her original time. She finished in 2 hours and 23 minutes.

The group was super happy to have finished the race. And their medals were so pretty. Very New Orleans.

Coming off the race high, I officially signed up for the Capital City Classic 10K in April.
And I'm going to tell you a secret. I'm going to sign up for St. Jude's half marathon in December. My mom and I are going to run it together, and I'm so excited about it.

All the entry fees go to St. Jude's Hospital, and  parents and patients line the race course near the hospital to thank the race participants for running the race and giving to the hospital. For more information about the St. Jude's marathon and half marathon, check this out.

What do you think about running a big race? Would you ever do it?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome how you've turned into a runner and that your mom is kicking butt doing so as well. It's just awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Friend! I'm pretty excited about it. And being able to run with my mom has been really special.

    ReplyDelete