Monday, September 24, 2012

From Long Run to Recovery

I've made it to what I would call a milestone this week. I ran 18 miles total for the week. I did two long runs this week due to rain. I'm pretty proud of myself. But Saturday I did a six mile long run. To date, six miles (really 6.1 miles) is the farthest I've ever ran.
It's a really great feeling to know I can still do it. And I'm even more pumped because all the long runs from now on will be milestones in my running life. Each distance will add a mile to the farthest I've ever ran. I'm in uncharted waters people, and I'm thrilled.

Here are my stats from this week's long run:
Distance: 6.0 miles
Time: 1:13:16
Best Pace: 9:13
Average Pace: 12:13
Calories: 693

This long run was super special to me. My mom came up to run with me. I love getting to spend time with her. But running with her is extra special. She is one of the reasons I started running. She is training for the full marathon, and this past week was her recovery week. So she only had to run eight miles.

I'm pleased to report I felt good running the six miles. I was in the zone. Ever since I ran my first 10K back in November, I've loved the distance. 6.1 miles is just enough. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think I had a negative split on this run. I'm pretty sure I was faster on the last three miles than the first three. Negative splits are super awesome, and I'm pretty proud of that fact.

I'm starting week 4 of training, and it's my first recovery week. Basically I will run 3 miles for each run this week. So my long run will be a 5K. A very important 5K. Asher's race is this weekend. I'm super excited about it. I can't wait to see who all comes out to support her.

On a different note, I was reading a magazine, and I ran across this article.
So much is wrong with this. The article suggested wearing just a sports bra to show off your curves and neon tennis shoes to elongate the legs. I'm not even going to get into their thoughts on underwear. But I turned the page and got the biggest shock of all.
The only time you will find me working out with make-up on is if I run in the evening and I put make-up on that morning. There is no way in hell I would put make-up on before I went to run. No way. I mean that is just ridiculous. Plus waterproof mascara is bad for your lashes. Just saying.

I think the gym is one place where you can get a pass for not looking your best. I mean it's all about sweat. If you still look cute, you didn't work out hard enough. It's all about sweat. Not make-up.

On today's agenda:
  • Foam rolling
  • Grocery shopping
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Writing
  • Cooking something yummy for dinner
What's on your agenda?

How was your weekend?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a runner -- I have *really* bad feet -- but I love your enthusiasm. And I completely agree that getting pretty for the gym completely defeats the purpose of going to the gym. Though I'm sure I've seen girls who do just that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah --- I have seen girls who do just that. And they never break a sweat in the gym. I just can't understand it.

    I'm glad you like to read about my running journey. I bet your feet aren't as bad as you think. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was out walking/running the other day and I passed this girl (who was jogging). She had the perfect tan, perfect makeup and perfect hair. She was wearing coordinated sports bra, running shorts and tennis shoes. And she had her perfect little yorkie on a leash (with a bow to match her running outfit).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's girls like her Karen!!! Girls like her. The dog doesn't help the situation.

    ReplyDelete