Friday, September 21, 2012

Zoning Out

I did something kinda dumb the other day. I had to run 4 miles of speedwork. And I thought the temperature was going to stay in the mid 70s. Ummmm....Note to self: Check the weather.

I made the mistake of running in the heat of the day. Now it was nothing like the heat of summer. But still. It was hot. Four fast miles in the mid 80s is tough stuff. (I say fast, but we all know that is a relative term.)

Here are my stats:
Distance: 4 miles
Time: 48:35
Best Pace: 9:23 (no idea how that happened)
Average Pace: 12:09 (much more like normal)
Calories: 443

The miles felt good. Speedwork outside always seems to go by really quick. There are so many things to trick your brain into thinking it's not so bad. I change the pace every minute. I strive to hit 10:30 - 11:00 for one minute. Then slow down to 12:00 -12:30 pace for one minute. Then back up to 10:30 - 11:00 for one minute. Then I let myself walk fast for one minute. I did the three minute intervals for three miles.

I'm training myself to zone out. I want to trick my mind as much as I can for as long as I can. I think it will help me be mentally stronger toward the end of my race. I don't want to be mentally stressing at mile 4 on race day. Talk about a race day downer.
I also wore my Injinji toe socks the other day. And I have to say I really like them when my shoes are on. They feel super weird without shoes. And right before I took this picture I thought people aren't gonna want to see my alien toes. Seriously, they are that long. Disgusting, I know. Don't rub it in.

But I had to show you the socks. Over the past year or so, I've gotten blisters on the tip of my second toe on my right foot. Random place to get a blister. But I've noticed when I wear these socks I don't get a blister or add to the callus on the tip of my toe. I also like the thickness of the socks and the fact that they wick away a lot of moisture, which was good since it was a sweat fest of a run.

Yesterday was my off day. So I didn't run. But I did get to see Boom Kinetic play outside in the middle of downtown Little Rock.
It was the perfect way to spend an off day. I'm super pumped for their new album to come out. "City Ocean" is my new favorite Boom Kinetic song. So if you are in the Northwest Arkansas area or the Little Rock area, be on the lookout for a Boom Kinetic show. The band is full of cool dudes who love to play great music. Definitely check them out. So. Much. Fun.

Who's running today?
This girl. Three miles. Long run tomorrow with my mom. Yippie.

Weekend plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment