Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hills Are Not What I Remember

Let's talk about hill work. Specifically the Big Dam Bridge. More like damn bridge. I think I was mentally more confident than I should have been. The mind is a powerful thing, but that bridge is more powerful.

Those dang inclines...I can't even begin to tell you how slow I was. I was trudging. Trudging up those inclines. At the pace that I usually walk. Can I even call it running? It's too close and too hard to say. There goes my self esteem. Trudging....Who does that? I have no excuse.
Here are my stats:
Distance: 3 miles over the Big Dam Bridge and back
Time: 37:19
Best Pace: 10:00
Average Pace: 12:27
Calories: 319

I felt really good about the run when I started. I knew I had eaten the right foods, and I was anxious to have a good run considering the terrible one I had on Sunday. But the first ascent up the mountainous bridge was very humbling. My calves were screaming at me. And while I felt like I was booking it right on up that hill, my watch was less impressed with me. I was in the 14s. So freaking slow.

I was the Little Engine that could. I think I can. I think I can.

I told myself on the way back that my last mile would be faster. And I set a goal to finish in under 40 minutes. Seriously, the hills were a bit too much. I ended up finishing under my goal, and I know I can only get better from there.

When I finished I was greeted with the best sunset I've seen in a long time.
The picture doesn't really do it justice. But I had to show you.

I also stuffed my face with apple slice on my way home so I wouldn't have another episode.
Being a reactive hypoglycemic really has its downfalls. But the apple was just the right choice for a post run snack. It was cool and juicy. I've been loving the Envy apples lately. You should get some. They're pretty tasty.

On a completely random note, I babysat Asher yesterday. And right before nap time, she wanted me to read her this book.
I feel like this book, especially the kid on the cover, should induce nightmares. He is creepy. And what kid wants to read about body parts as a pre-nap time treat? I'll tell ya again. That kid is an old soul in a little kid's body.

She starts chemo again today. Round 6. Keep her in your prayers. We need a smooth visit.

Tell me something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment