Thursday, September 6, 2012

Speedwork Distractions

Tuesday night it was 96 degrees when I got out of my car to do some speedwork. I think 96 degrees and speedwork should never be used in the same sentence...ever.

Going into the run I had a pretty solid plan on how it would. And lucky for me this time it actually did go as planned.

Day Two of half marathon training: Two mile fartlek.
Here are my stats:
Distance: 3 miles
Time: 37:22
Best Pace: 9:49 (probably when I ran by a snake...it happened.)
Average Pace: 12:28
Calories: 321

I thought for sure this run was going to be terrible because of the heat and my out-of-shapeness that has happened over the summer. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I had to watch the time because my pace would change every minute. I had to watch the pace so I remained consistent on the speeds I was aiming for each minute. And I had to watch the distance so I'd know when to cool down. Lots of bright and shiny things in the run to keep my mind occupied.

Distractions are a good way to keep your mind off the pain that comes with running fast and slowing down and speeding up again. It could have been a complete disaster, but it wasn't. Thank the good Lord.

Today's run is a 3 mile tempo run. I still haven't decided what that means for me yet. I need to converse with running guru aka my mom. She wrote my plan, and I'm not exactly sure what she wants me to do on this tempo run. I feel so brand new. Eekk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Switching gears:

  • The Stuttgart Daily Leader wrote a great article about Asher's upcoming fundraiser. If you want to read it, go here. If you need a registration form, comment below with your e-mail address.
  • The Gallery of Hope is Friday. I hope you got a ticket. I will be there. It's going to be a good time.
  • Boom Kinetic is also happening Friday at the Rev Room. Please, if you haven't gone before, go and have the time of your life. It really is the most fun ever. Good people. Good music. Good times.
What are your plans for the weekend?

Who wants to run with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment