Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Slow Down

I'm gonna tell you that I have truly lost all motivation to complete the rest of this semester of graduate school. My brain is so tired, and I've found myself much rather wanting to do other stuff. I hate to say that school has taken a backseat to procrastination, but it has.

Case in point: Last night, I got home from work and sat down a few minutes before starting dinner. Around 6:15 P.M. I started cutting up sweet potatoes for homemade sweet potato fries. And let me just say how extremely difficult sweet potatoes are to cut up. I was using the biggest knife I had along with all the muscle I had, and those babies barely got cut into fries.

After putting those in the oven, I started on the main course. Cheeseburger flatbread melts, c/o Kevin and Amanda. You can get the recipe here. When everything was finished, I sat down to eat. The cheeseburger melts were TO DIE FOR GOOD. I could not have asked for a more satisfying meal. It was so tasty and savory. You should totally make them. So easy.

My sweet potato fries did not fair quite as well. I think it will take me a little time to perfect my baking process. Some of my fries were too small so when they cooked they were EXTRA crunchy. But in my defense, some of them turned out perfect. Sweet potato fries, for me, could be better than real fries. I love the added flavor that you don't get in a real french fry. And it's an added bonus because sweet potatoes are naturally flavorful and good for you. So I'm not complaining.

After all the hard work of cooking, I sat down and fell asleep. Not for a few minutes, but for an hour. Can you say old lady? I've gotten to the point where I can fall asleep, and then wake up not knowing how it happened. The hallmark of old age is setting in at the ripe age of 23. Ekk.

I have to admit I've missed cooking quite a bit. I forgot how good it feels to make food. Food that makes the whole house smell delicious. I can't wait for it to become part of my daily routine again. I'm so tired of eating out and having Smart Ones for dinner. But when class gets out at 9 P.M. not much cooking can be done.

So I wait patiently for May 13, the end of my first year of graduate school. It always goes back to that. My life revolves around school and homework. And that is the cold, hard truth. My decisions are made based on school and homework, and I think I've reached the point where I don't want that anymore. Partly because it's the end of the semester, and partly because I resent the whole thing for taking over my life. But enough of that, I'm halfway done. And I'm thankful for the opportunity, but it's hard to see the forest when you've been staring at individual trees for a year. Har Har.

But on to the next. I will make it work for nine more days. I will keep moving forward...maybe just not as quickly as I was in the beginning of the semester. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Take it one assignment at a time. Keep ever moving forward.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment