Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Confession

So I'm terrified. There I said it.

Last night I sent Logan a text message confessing my fears.


















I am terrified of changing the running routine. Last Friday and Sunday we changed the routine to this.



















So today (according to the app) is the final day we are suppose to run the 90 second/3minute routine. And it's scary because it changes to this.



















I'm not ready to up it to 5 minute intervals. Because once it gets to 5 minute intervals it gets cray cray. While it stays pretty much the same for week 4, week 5 the app goes insane. It tells us to run 20 minutes without stopping. Nobody feels ready for that.

I don't feel like three days is enough time for my body to adjust to what I'm making it do. And maybe it's a mind thing, but something about it makes little red flags go up all over the place.

The roommate's been having bad runs lately. And once I started this new 90 seconds/3 minutes routine, my calves HATED me. No matter how much I stretched or how much water I drank I was in pain.

I've been trying to learn the difference between pseudo-pain and actual pain. And I'm doing the best I can at listening to my body and what it's doing. I'm conscious of the foods I eat and how much water I drink. But something about the added run time makes my calves ache just thinking about it.

It's not to the point of quitting, but the calves scream at me the entire time I run, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Tonight I will be prolonging my stretch time and drinking Gadorade before the run in hopes of reducing muscle cramps.

But Logan and I decided not to switch to week 4 after tonight's run. It just doesn't feel right. I know we are suppose to push ourselves to get better and be better. But I know myself and I know her, and we are not ready.

We could totally do it, but we would totally hate it the entire time. And that is not what this is about. This is not a phase. This is a lifestyle change. We are changing our own paradigm that we set for ourselves so long ago.

The Plan: To continue the week 3 requirements of 90 seconds/3 minutes until Monday. This will give us three more runs under the week 3 guidelines. On Monday we will attempt the routine for week 4. IF we feel comfortable enough with the change, we will continue. If we almost die, we will go back to week 3 for another week.

I don't think of it as a regression. I think of it as being smart. After all, the app is just guidelines helping us reach our ultimate goal. And we can choose to change it up as we see fit.

Thankfully, we are all on the same page.



















We will totally do this. It's just going to get done at a pace that is appropriate for us.



















So what are you waiting for? Lace up those tenny pumps and take it to the trail. I'll be there. Logan will be there. Lindsay will be there. The roommate will be there in spirit (she has to work).

I confessed my fear, but I've got a plan. See you on the trail.

What do you need to confess?

How do you face a fear? Do you analyze? Attack it head on? Wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment