Thursday, June 2, 2011

Some Things Changes and Others Don't

I haven't forgotten that I was suppose to show you my new patio decor, but yesterday's post was just so long that I thought I'd save it for today.

Remember this is the patio BEFORE the new decor.














Pretty purple and bare.

And here is the patio AFTER:


















Pillows in the chairs from Hobby Lobby really bring some life to the bland patio.


















My chair with flower pillow.


















The roommate's chair with pink pillow.


















The door and floor also got some new bling.















Remember the yarn wreath inspired by Shanna at Keepin' Up With The Moody's?


















I think the patio turned out pretty well. I'm still in search of the perfect flower pot since Anthropologie had an epic fail when I went to purchase a sweet giraffe flower pot, and it wasn't in the store anymore. What a let down. But on to the next.

Next topic: Facebook Cleanse

Have you ever had the urge to go through all your Facebook friends, e-mail contacts or something like that and "remove" people you don't know/like?

I've seen Facebook statuses where people congratulate "those who have made it through the Facebook Cleanse." I've always wondered what makes people keep some people and get rid of others.

I've never done a "Facebook Cleanse." If I have a problem with someone for whatever reason (they are mean to me, their statuses update every 5 seconds, they say dumb stuff, they turn into weird stalkers), I just block them. It usually solves the problem.

Blocking people on Facebook does have it's downfalls. The major one being that that person can and usually will find out you have blocked them. Other people can still see your stuff, just that one person can't.

It feels weird/hurtful when someone blocks or "defriends" you, but for whatever the reason it's for the best for that person.

Reason for saying all this: I blocked someone last night because of rude, unnecessary comments. I've known this person for a long time, and this person has been using rude, unnecessary comments for the majority of our lives. And last night I had had my fill. It had gone too far. Over the line.

So I became proactive. I'm not going to surround myself (or my Facebook) with people who don't support me in the best possible way. There is no need to have people in my life to push me down. I'm to the point where I can't worry about hurt feelings because some things never change. And this person never will.

It's very liberating to rid yourself of people and things who are hurtful and bring you down. We as people need to build each other up. Work together. Support each other.

It's taken me a long time to realize I don't have to have certain people in my life just because I grew up with them. Or we went to high school together. Or my best friend is her best friend's brother's cousin.

We are who we are. And some people just don't mesh and never will. AND THAT'S OK. People come in and out of our lives for a reason. As we grow, our friends change and grow. We grow closer to some people and away from others.

Challenge of the Day (or however long it takes): Take stock of your friend pile and work to "remove" those people who: make you feel bad about yourself, try to "one-up" you, critize you, disappoint you, intentionally say hurtful things and pretend to be "joking", etc.

Don't be scared or feel guilty. Rid yourself of those people or things that get you down. It will be tough, but you can do it. And if you need some extra support or encouragement, talk to someone close to you or talk to me.

It's a big step, but it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment