Thursday, June 9, 2011

Epic Fail

Yesterday was Logan's first day of running since our Senior year high school cheerleading try-outs. (We both attempted a 9-minute mile and didn't quite make the cut...Therefore we didn't make the squad our Senior year.)

I was greeted by sweet Lulah Bell, Logan's beautiful puppy dog.

Isn't she the sweetest little thing you've ever seen? She is still very puppy-ish, but her paws are like that of a bear.

After we said goodbye to Lulah, we headed over to Two Rivers Park (can you tell I love that place?) to kick our butts.

We stretched and warmed up with a nice, fast-paced walk. There was a bit of a breeze, but it was still pretty dang hot. By the time we turned into the sun, we were both sweating pretty heavily. We would talk during our walking breaks and huff and puff during our running streaks.

At minute 21, I started to feel a little bit dizzy. And at minute 23, the last running minute, I felt even more dizzy. Once we started walking back to the car, it got even worse. I could feel the blood beating in my veins and hear a huge thud thud thud of my heart.

Now I'm prone to passing out, and Logan jokingly said to me don't pass out. My thoughts were well I think I might. Jesus, please don't let me fall out. It's Logan's first run with me. I don't want her to freak out. It's so freakin' hot.

I had to sit down twice on the way to the car. Once the second sit down session, I told Logan to go get my car because I knew I needed water. While my dear friend jogged to the car, I had a bit of a pity party due to the bad run.

First I was sad and upset that I pushed myself too hard, but it didn't seem harder than any other day. It had to be the heat mixed with my water and food intake.

Then, it hit me. It's just my luck. I would almost pass out due to heat exhaustion. But in my defense, it was really hot.

So Logan drove me to her house (cause I had picked her up.)

And we laughed about how I almost fell out. And she laughed nervously while I tortured her with picture time. (She thought I'd forget to get photos of her...Not quite.)

Then she cooked me dinner, which was delicious. I forgot to take a picture of dinner because my stomach was screaming at me to fill it with something yummy.

What started out as being my let's-help-Logan-run motivation session turned into a run with a not-so-good-ending for me.

Lesson learned: Hydrate more than you think you need to, and eat a little something about an hour before you run.

Too bad I had to learn it the hard way. Yikes. Tomorrow is a new day. Thankfully. Now on to the next.


  1. Now are making me sound like Fatty McLazybones! This was not my first run since high school. This was the first time in a long time that I have wanted to dedicate myself to running! haha I have the cutest pup in the world and HELLOOO red, sweaty face! Love it!

  2. Wasn't going for Fatty McLazybones. Because I haven't dedicated myself to running since high school either. You definitely have the cutest pup in the world. And red sweaty face is the hallmark of a good run...unlike mine, the sweaty pale almost passed out face. :)