Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The 100th Post: Recipe, Running, and Reflections

Another successful run down the tube. And this one was much more enjoyable since I didn't try to be a hero and run during the peak heat. Thanks to my sweet momma, I solved the car key issue after a purchased a 1990s style stretchy bracelet. Or I should say what I thought was a bracelet. When that didn't work out, I took my momma's advice. (Dang her for always being right about everything.)


















Car keys tied to the shoe made me super nervous. And even though I double knotted my shoe, I was terrified my keys, especially my clicker, would go flying in the Arkansas River. Thankfully that didn't happen. But I kept a watchful eye on those keys.

The views from the River Trail were gorgeous.



















7:30 - 8:30 P.M. is the time to go run. It was hot, but manageable. Lots of people were there, but I still managed to keep a nice steady pace, which I think increased from Tuesday's little heat jog. Baby steps. Always with with baby steps. And I didn't leave there looking too beat up, just a little sweaty and splotchy.


















Don't mind the double Nike. Just trying to be "cool." Just kidding, but really. I didn't realize the sportsbra's logo would be so prominent. Oh well, there are worse things.

On to the recipe: Eggplant Lasagna. Now don't knock it til you try it. Very tasty, and you hardly miss the meat because the eggplant is so filling.

You will need:














1 Large eggplant (or 2 small ones)
Lasagna noodles
1 Cottage cheese container (low-fat)
1-2 Jars of Ragu - Tomato, Onion and Garlic flavor (depends on how saucy you like it)
1 Large packet of Mozzarella cheese
9"X13" pan


















Picture is blurry, but I want you to see the label and know the flavor. It's the best.



















Soak the eggplant in salted water for 30 minutes. This will remove the bitter flavor that can be associated with eggplant if not prepared correctly. Sidenote---Eggplant floats so you will have to stir them around and push them under the water every now and then. If the pieces look too big, cut them smaller so they will fully cook in the oven.














In a sauce pan on the stove, heat the Ragu while your eggplant soaks. Once the eggplant has soaked for the full 30 minutes, drain water and pat dry. Then layer the following:
Sauce, eggplant pieces, noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese.

Repeat until the pan is full. Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes with the pan covered in aluminum foil. After 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes. The finished product should look like this.



















Looks good?














Saucy, cheesy, healthy, yummy.



















Try it. It's pretty tasty. If you have questions, feel free to ask me. This is just an alternative to classic dish, and it is delicious. If you try and make it, let me know what you think or the changes you make. Make it you're own.

Thanks for reading my first 100 posts. Here's to 100 more. Yippie.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Another option to the 1990s style stretchy bracelet is The Run Lock (www.therunlock.com). It was made to solve the key-while-running problem.

    Also, that eggplant dish looks amazing. :)

    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete