Thursday, June 30, 2011

Good Food. Good Run.

The roommate had a good run yesterday. I credit it to running with people (more on this later).

She looks so happy and relieved to have finished the hardest run we've set out to complete yet. I'm so proud of her. She did an awesome job, even though her calves still gave her some trouble.

After Monday's too hot run, we decided to tone it down and run at 7:30 P.M. on the trails nears Cook's Landing, the Maumelle side of the Big Dam Bridge. It was shaded and glorious.

After finishing last night's run, we all felt triumphant. Like we could take on the world.

Logan was so happy. She didn't think she could do that last five minutes all at one time. But she did. She didn't think she could lead us during the last minute of running where we "sprint" and push ourselves as much as we can. But she did. She was on point last night. So proud of her. She's becoming quite the little runner.

And then, there's me. I'm just so happy. I feel so blessed to have so many people who support me during this process. I am so excited to have good friends to share this experience with and a mother who is all to eager to guide me. Thank you for partaking in this journey.

The sunset last night was redonkulous. Not even kidding.


Ummm...Hello. Beautiful. Could not have been a more perfect picture to end an awesome run with awesome friends.

On the way home last night, the roommate looked at me and asked if we were going to keep entering races after Susan G. Komen this fall. I didn't even hestitate when answering. Of course we will keep entering races.

And that is when it hit me. We have changed. I even said it out loud to her in the car. It's a lifestyle change. Wow. It's an amazing feeling when you get to the point where you know you affected change.

While this may seem small, it is huge. I want to live a healthy lifestyle in all the ways. Fitness, food, relationships, etc.

I've always been a good eater. I like all types of food. But I've not always made smart decisions on how much "bad stuff" I eat in a day. Since I've started running, I've learned first hand that what you put into your body affects the outcome of your runs. Sugar and salt are not what my body needs for me to have a good run. Simple as that. It makes me feel sluggish and heavy.

So I'm making it a priority, or I should say more of a priority, to take note of what I eat and drink. I've recently discovered Love Grown Foods granola.

I am in LOVE with Raisin Almond Crunch. And I can't wait to try all of the other flavors. It's the bomb.com for realz. Sweet, crunchy and perfectly flavored.

My Kroger didn't carry the Chocolate flavor, but I plan to find it ASAP so I can enjoy every little chocolatey morsel.

After the run, a dinner of amazing chicken tacos and a bath, I sat in my chair and enjoyed this.

The Better Than Sex cake that Logan left at our house two nights ago. And let me just say, I WILL NOT EVER cut out foods and sweets I love from my diet. You need to have indulgent eats as a part of your diet so you don't binge eat on all the things you want but won't let yourself have.

It's called moderation. Binge eating gets us in trouble, and I'm as guilty of it as the next person. But part of a healthy lifestyle means knowing when and how to moderate. One or two adult beverages. A handful of M&M's. The smaller portion of pasta at your favorite spot. It can be done. You can do it. I can do it. We can do it together.

Which do you like more: running/exercising in the morning or at night?
I'd love to run in the morning, but sleep usually prohibits my motivation. Plus I love to run with other people so it's whatever works out best.

How will moderate yourself to start/maintain a healthy lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment