Sunday, April 17, 2011

What I Do Best

I have been really unmotivated this weekend to do anything school related. I think Wednesday's little meltdown took its toll. But today I forced myself to look alive.

I had an assignment for my media theory class this week that consisted of me reading a Vogue article and applying media theory to it. Sounds easy, but my lack of motivation has made me feel not very inspired to pursue this task.

So here's the skinny: Basically I have decided to forgo the traditional route of spitting facts and definitions at my classmates for 15 minutes. And I developing a new take on an oral presentation that could make traditional presentation enthusiasts gasp. I am going to tell a story, which is what I do best.

I think it is a genetic gift I got from my Dad, who has the ability to talk about any subject to great extent with people not realizing that it may or may not be true. It is a true gift, the gift of gab. And I have it. My ability to tell "tales" is not as perfected as his because I struggle with the being an effective liar. He is very good at telling a lie that could be a fact.

But I can tell a story. Story-telling could be my calling. And I think that is why I love journalism. Because I get to write stories. These stories being as accurate as I can make them.

So for this presentation I am taking a story written by a journalist who went to Morocco to teach journalism to young people and applying it to media theory....Sounds boring? Yes. How will I fix it? I'm going to tie a story about myself into the story I read.

Let's face it. People love to get personal. So if I get a little personal with my classmates, they (in theory) will pay more attention to what I'm saying. Surely it will be better than hearing 15 minutes of facts and definitions.

I mean I love a good story...So hopefully this will work. And I will get a good grade. Otherwise, it will be just another boring presentation that I know all to well. So here's to taking a chance. I'll let you know how it goes.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment