Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Word to Your Mother

I hope everyone's week is going smoothly thus far. I am turning in a 6-page literature review tonight. And I wish the semester was coming to a close with assigments, but UALR is still cramming them in somehow. I did get a lot accomplished this weekend, although my all-nighter didn't really happen. I made it to 1 A.M., but then called it quits because my eyes were getting sticky with sleep.

Still a lot to do in a little time period. But I will make it work.

So I've decided something. But before I tell you what, I'll give you the back story.

Five years ago, I started doing Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. And every year my mom and I say we will meet up and do it together. Little Rock's Race for the Cure is the third largest race in the nation so my mom and I go with good intentions to meet up, but we can never find each other.

Once I got into a sorority, we started going as a group. And my mom went with her close friends. That was how it was for four years. Last year things changed.

I graduated college so I didn't walk with my sorority sisters, and my mom had become an avid runner who can kick a 5K in 30ish minutes. She's actually ran in the race for two years now so this coming October will be her third year.

So basically in five years, my mom and I have never done it together. So I am going to change that.

Instead of asking her to walk with me, I am going to do my first 5K. It's three miles, which doesn't sounds too bad. But it is a pretty hilly little stint of roads. I don't want her to walk because she loves running so much. (P.S. She is currently training for her first half-marathon on April 30 in Nashville). And I want to do it together FOR REAL this time. So I will have to suck up my hatred for running and knock out three miles.

I will have all summer and early fall to prepare for it. And I can already run about 1.5 miles....so that is half way. Only 1.5 miles to go.

I feel like this is something I need to do. 1) To help me stay in shape. 2) To get over the faux pas I have of running. 3) To do Race for the Cure together.

So that is my official decision. A 5K with my momma. I will run with her, if she will slow down enough for me to keep up. Training starts May 16, the Monday after school is over. That gives me six months...Surely I can do it. I will keep you posted with my work-outs and all that good stuff.

So yeah. Anyone else what to join? You can go for a jog with me. We can do it together. It could/will be fun.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment